Rigatoni Broccoli Casserole
- 28.3 oz rigatoni
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- 1 chicken bullion
- 2 cups grated broccoli
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Extra boiled broccoli florets (optional)
- To save time, cook the pasta and the sauce simultaneously.
- Place a heavy bottom saucepan with enough water to boil the pasta in high heat. Place another heavy bottom skillet on medium heat.
- For the pasta, once the water comes to boil, drop the rigatoni along with the salt and boil for 7 minutes. Once done, save ¼ cup of the pasta water and drain the rigatoni using a colander.
- For the sauce, once the skillet heats up, drop the butter. As it melts, sprinkle the flour and mix it around for few seconds. Then pour the milk little by milk and keep whisking until it comes together into a smooth sauce without any lumps. Then scatter the grated broccoli, and crumble the chicken bullion. Whisk to mix everything. Pour ¼ cup of the pasta water to tin out the sauce a little bit. Finally add ¼ cup of the mozzarella cheese and mix it all together. Taste for salt and add any if required. Switch off the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Take a casserole dish, and layer the base with some of the sauce. Then place the rigatoni straight up one by one. Pour rest of the sauce on top, followed by the boiled broccoli florets, if using. Scatter the remaining mozzarella cheese and the parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cheese on top turns mild golden brown.
- Serve warm