Cheesy Garlic Parmesan Spinach Spaghetti Squash
1 medium spaghetti squash (approx. 2-3lbs)
2.5 TBSP minced garlic
1 tsp avocado oil or olive oil
5 oz fresh spinach chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 TBSP cream cheese (optional but delicious!)
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus extra for topping
salt and pepper to taste
grated or sliced mozzarella for topping to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Slice your spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
3. For easy cutting, feel free to stick your squash in the microwave to soften it up just a tad. Pierce it a few times with a knife (to help vent so it doesn't burst) and cook for for 3-5 minutes. The knife slides through way easier this way! Smaller squash will need about 3 minutes while larger ones will be good to go at 4-5 min.
4. Next grab a lipped baking sheet or a rimmed baking dish.
5. Rub the cut side of the squash with a teeny bit of olive oil and place on your baking dish/sheet and roast face-down for about 40 minutes, or until tender and easily pierced with a fork. Cooking time will vary a bit depending on the size of your squash, and larger squash will need to roast a bit longer to tenderize. Once ready, the once rock-hard exterior of the squash will be visibly softened with a tender interior.
6. The squash can be roasted and stored in the fridge for a few days if you'd like to meal prep and plan ahead for a speedier dinner.
7. While the squash roasts, start on the sauce.
8. In a medium pot or skillet, bring a drizzle of olive oil to medium-high heat and sauté garlic until fragrant.
9. Next add the spinach and stir until wilted. Add your cream, cream cheese (totally optional but totally tasty) and parmesan cheese and stir well.
10. Season with salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.
11. Once squash is done roasting, allow to cool until easily handled or pop on an oven mit and use a fork to separate and fluff the strands of spaghetti squash.
12. Pour your sauce over each squash boat, stir to mix, and top with a little mozzarella cheese and additional parm cheese, if desired.
13. Bake at 350 degrees F for around 20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
14. For a golden cheesy topping, flip your oven to broil on high for just a minute or two until lightly browned. Dive in while it's HOT!